Git was made to be decentralized. Why trust only gitlab or github with your code? It's actually extremely easy to set up your own git server, assuming you already have a VPS and domain name.
I set up read/write access to repos on my
VPS using the standard
Then, I went through my repos and
git remote set-url origin <my-url>, adding
github and gitlab remotes as well (so my code will be
mirrored on my gitlab and my
github). To make pushing commits
to all my remotes easy, I added
alias gua="git remote list | grep -v upstream | xargs -l git push"
alias gum="git remote list | grep -v upstream | xargs -I _ git push _ master"
.zshrc file, allowing me
to push the current branch or the master branch to all my remotes
(except for upstream, which is usually not a repo I have
write access to). To give people the ability to clone my
repos directly from my server, I set up the
with systemd. Now, I had read/write access to my repos, and
the entire world can read my repos right from my new
subdomain, git.aftix.xyz with the URL
Now everyone can use my git server as I wanted them to. However,
I also wanted to make my repos explorable in a browser over HTTPS.
There are many solutions to this, such as cgit
git tea. These solutions are a bit much
for me, as git tea has many features I don't need (e.g. user logins
and pull requests), and cgit uses cgi. Since my repos are small,
I chose to serve static project pages via nginx. This matches well
with my blog, which is also serving static pages over nginx.
So, I built and installed stagit,
which generates static pages from git repos (this is what
suckless uses to make their git
pages). After creating some git hooks and scripts, I just had
to change the style to be consistent with my blog. I'm pleased
so I could use code syntax highlighting. I could make a shell script
that goes through the html pages and uses sed to insert a script
tag before the closing body tag, but that would probably be
very slow to run. Regardless, my git trees are now browsable at
https://git.aftix.xyz. The only
thing left to do is to see if I can make the dwm repo show
my_dwm branch instead of